Mars is very much at home in Scorpio, as it is the traditional ruler of this intense and transformative sign. In relationships, Mars represents our desire nature – what turns us on sexually and who and what we wish to pursue.
As I’ve highlighted before in previous blogs about Mars, at its core Mars is our life force. If natal Mars is not fully awake in our chart, we are likely to struggle with feeling desire and passion for anything or anyone, which is often expressed as depression, or we may feel afraid and angry all the time, which may express itself as aggression. Both are extremes, which are linked with Mars, which is our basic survival instinct. If Mars is not functioning effectively in our natal chart on a long term basis, relationships of all kinds can feel very challenging and we may either avoid them or sabotage them.
When travelling through Scorpio, Mars ‘demands’ that we dig deep within us to uncover the deeper unconscious layers of our emotions, including our: fears, passions, resentments, sorrow, regrets and pain. The purpose is to get to the underlying core emotions. Emotion Focused Therapy (Leslie Greenberg, 2002) describes Joy, Sadness and Fear as our primary emotions. Other emotions which often emerge in our interactions with loved ones, include jealousy, embarrassment, guilt... These are secondary emotions which we develop to help us deal with the primary ones and can cause a great deal of confusion and pain in our relationships. Over the next few weeks, Mars can help each of us to notice what lies beneath the emotions we express in our relationship with ourselves and with others and what the core themes are.
A Mars in Scorpio exercise to help uncover and clear old Relationship patterns:
1. Find some quiet undisturbed time to meditate and make a note of all the important relationships in your lifetime – including relationships with friends, family and intimate others. Note beside them whether you felt/feel able to express primary emotions in these relationships – anger, joy, sadness and fear? No judgement – just curiosity!
2. Once this is complete and it may take some time, think back to your infancy and early childhood and consider how safe, loved, nurtured and cherished you felt – or not. What did that feel like emotionally for you? Was it possible to express those emotions at the time? What emotions was it safe to express? Again – no blame or judgement of anyone. This is all about you – not about the other people in your life. Notice if how you expressed your emotions as a child, is connected to some of the ways you express your emotions in your adult relationships. Is this conducive to happy relationships for you?
3. Now take a look at your natal Mars and aspects to it – the sign describes how you find it easiest to connect to your life force. For e.g. Mars in Gemini is more detached and communicative, versus Mars in Taurus that tends to be more practical and physical. The House it’s in, describes the avenue through which Mars can most easily express itself. For e.g. Mars in the 5th can do so through creativity, whereas Mars in the 6th is more likely to do it through a job. Notice the aspects that modify your Mars. Are you living your Mars out fully as an individual and in your relationships?
4. Finally, notice the houses that Mars in Scorpio is traveling through in your natal chart and in your relationship midpoint composite charts, as well as the aspects it makes. What emotions are likely to come to the surface over this time? For e.g. if it’s travelling through your natal 11th house, issues to do with family, friends and community are likely to surface. If it’s in your composite 6th house, emotional issues to do with your daily routines in your relationship will benefit from some exploration.
5. Make sure that you include some self nurturing activities during and after this process depending on what feels nurturing for your Moon. For e.g. Moons in water might enjoy a walk by the ocean, nice music...Moon in Earth might like a nice meal in comfortable surroundings...
Keep in mind that the more we free ourselves of old restrictive ways of dealing with emotions that are unhelpful to us, the more passion we can experience within ourselves and in our current relationships. MG
Feel free to contact us at email@example.com if you would like to explore ways of navigating Mars in Scorpio in your Relationships, including with family, friends and intimate other.