Mercury has gone Retrograde once again - at least from our perspective here on Earth! This time he is in Virgo until Aug 31st and then moves back into Leo until Sept 4th!
Best known as the planet of communication, Mercury is in fact the bridge between the other planets in our natal chart and the Sun - our consciousness. His key function is networking, which of course is what creating and maintaining relationships is all about. So when Mercury goes retrograde, our inner 'networking' can get somewhat scrambled. This in turn affects communication in the area of our life described by the house in our chart where the retrograde occurs. Relationships by definition are based on communication. Hence, Mercury retrograde can at times be somewhat challenging for relationships, particularly if we are not aware of what's happening!
Key issues to look out for in relationships with Mercury Retrograde in Virgo:
- Both self criticism and criticism of others
- Nitpicking over details in relationships, that are not particularly important or relevant
- Mistakes over details that may impact other people
- Finding it challenging to see the bigger long-term picture and goal of the relationship
Over-analyzing relationship dynamics leading to fear, which in turn can lead to analysis/paralysis
When Mercury Retrogrades back into Leo, we may notice some of the following:
- Impulsive reactivity, rather than thought out responses, in relationships
- Less consideration of others in communication
- Mental impatience and frustration
Some ways to Navigate through this Mercury Retrograde in Relationships:
- Check where the retrograde is taking place in your natal chart and in your composite chart with your loved ones - particularly if it is happening in your 5th, 7th or 8th house of relationships!
- Take some time out before responding to any emails or messages from loved ones - particularly if you feel an urge to respond immediately! Before responding, imagine what your reaction might be to the response you send! This is a good time to only send kind responses!
- Resist the urge to be critical of anyone - including yourself!
- This can be a helpful time to review all the good things about past relationships - what positive things did you learn from them? Resist the urge to look at the challenges - this is not likely to be of help right now!
When Mercury goes back into Leo it can be helpful to explore how good a listener you are with loved ones? Do you mostly talk or listen? Do you withhold communication - if so - why? Power, fear, control, confusion...
Notice what your immediate thoughts are when relationships come to mind - what are these based on? Family beliefs or your heart? Where could you be more generous? More kind? More giving? More expansive in your communication?
As always with Mercury Retrograde - ensure that you have saved everything that is important to you from your computer and phone onto a removable hard drive or any other device - personal photos, special emails and messages from and to loved ones...
It's worth keeping in mind that school age children can find the Mercury Retrograde time particularly challenging. They can easily struggle with misunderstandings with teachers, friends and other adults around them, as well as mishaps with electronics. It's well worth talking to them about Mercury Retrograde and to have a look at where it falls in their chart, as well as looking at their natal Mercury and aspects to it. This is particularly relevant right now in the USA and Europe as many children are either back in school, or getting ready to go back. In some parts of the world children are getting ready to do exams. Mercury Retrograde can be a good time to revise, but confusion can sometimes occur with exam papers if the retrograde occurs during an actual exam. Best to be careful not to leave any questions out! MG
Armand and I are available to do Relationship Astrology readings for individuals, couples and families. Feel free to have a look at our page on consultations and to contact us at email@example.com